Surah 4. An-Nisa’ (Women)
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
1. O mankind! reverence your Guardian-Lord, who created you from a single person, created, of like nature, His mate, and from them twain scattered (like seeds) countless men and women;- reverence Allah, through whom ye demand your mutual (rights), and (reverence) the wombs (That bore you): for Allah ever watches over you.
2. To orphans restore their property (When they reach their age), nor substitute (your) worthless things for (their) good ones; and devour not their substance (by mixing it up) with your own. For this is indeed a great sin.
3. If ye fear that ye shall not be able to deal justly with the orphans, Marry women of your choice, Two or three or four; but if ye fear that ye shall not be able to deal justly (with them), then only one, or (a captive) that your right hands possess, that will be more suitable, to prevent you from doing injustice
4. And give the women (on marriage) their dower as a free gift; but if they, of their own good pleasure, remit any part of it to you, Take it and enjoy it with right good cheer.
5. To those weak of understanding Make not over your property, which Allah hath made a means of support for you, but feed and clothe them therewith, and speak to them words of kindness and justice.
Jabir narrated that the Prophet, peace be upon him, gave these instructions in his sermon during Farewell Pilgrimage: “Fear God regarding women; for you have taken them [in marriage] with the trust of God.” [Mishkat]
Surat An-Nisa is a Madinan surah. It was revealed after surat Al-Mumtahina and consists of 176 ayahs to be the fourth surah in the sequence of the Qur’an, exactly after surat Al-‘Imran (the family of ‘Imran). Surat An-Nisa is the surah that calls for justice and mercy, especially with vulnerable in society. Surah An-Nisa to teach us that the one who is entrusted with earth should be endowed with justice and mercy in his relationship with the society he is responsible for. It is as if the first attribute that should characterize those who carry this responsibility is justice. Accordingly, surat An-Nisa deals with the rights of the vulnerable groups in society such as: orphans, slaves, servants, heirs, and more importantly, women. The surah also deals with non-Muslim minorities who live under the protection of Islam and speaks of their rights. In addition, surat An-Nisa addresses the vulnerable themselves showing them how to behave in different situations. The surah also refers to wayfarers and parents and how they should be treated. Therefore, surat An-Nisa the surah of mercy and justice.
Many of its passages deal with the rights of women and with questions relating to family life in general, including laws of inheritance, prohibition of marriage, marital relations
2. Be just
6. Show mercy
7. Study the Tafseer of Surah Nisaa