SURA 61. Saff, or The Ranks
1. Whatever is in the heavens and on earth, let it declare the Praises and Glory
of Allah: for He is the Exalted in Might, the Wise.
2. O ye who believe! Why say ye that which ye do not?
3. Grievously odious is it in the sight of Allah that ye say that which ye do
4. Truly Allah loves those who fight in His Cause in battle array, as if they
were a solid cemented structure.
5. And remember, Moses said to his people: “O my people! why do ye vex and
insult me, though ye know that I am the messenger of Allah [sent] to you?” Then
when they went wrong, Allah let their hearts go wrong. For Allah guides not
those who are rebellious transgressors.
6. And remember, Jesus, the son of Mary, said: “O Children of Israel! I am the
messenger of Allah [sent] to you, confirming the Law [which came] before me, and
giving Glad Tidings of a Messenger to come after me, whose name shall be Ahmad.”
But when he came to them with Clear Signs, they said, “this is evident sorcery!”
7. Who doth greater wrong than one who invents falsehood against Allah, even as
he is being invited to Islam? And Allah guides not those who do wrong.
8. Their intention is to extinguish Allah’s Light [by blowing] with their
mouths: But Allah will complete [the revelation of] His Light, even though the
Unbelievers may detest [it].
9. It is He Who has sent His Messenger with Guidance and the Religion of Truth,
that he may proclaim it over all religion, even though the Pagans may detest
10. O ye who believe! Shall I lead you to a bargain that will save you from a
11. That ye believe in Allah and His Messenger, and that ye strive [your utmost]
in the Cause of Allah, with your property and your persons: That will be best
for you, if ye but knew!
12. He will forgive you your sins, and admit you to Gardens beneath which Rivers flow, and to beautiful mansions in Gardens of Eternity: that is indeed the Supreme Achievement.
13. And another [favour will He bestow,] which ye do love,- help from Allah and a speedy victory. So give the Glad Tidings to the Believers.
14. O ye who believe! Be ye helpers of Allah: As said Jesus the son of Mary to
the Disciples, “Who will be my helpers to [the work of] Allah?” Said the
disciples, “We are Allah’s helpers!” then a portion of the Children of Israel
believed, and a portion disbelieved: But We gave power to those who believed,
against their enemies, and they became the ones that prevailed.
Surat As-Saff, recited by Sheikh Sa’d Al-Ghamidi of Saudi Arabia.
1. The title explains itself: Muslims, unify your ranks to bring victory to Allah’s religion.
2. The surah talks about the Israelites and how Musa (Moses) (AS) suffered from their feeble faith and weak sense of belonging to Allah’s religion
3. You must strive for unity and stand up for your religion because your enemies do not want you to unite or to be victorious. You now know that Allah will bring the light of His religion to perfection, whether the disbelievers like it or not, so why is your sense of belonging to this religion so weak? .
4. Be a part of this religion so that in the end, insha Allah (If Allah wills), you will be among the ones who prosper.
5. The surah concludes with a call to all the believers: Prove your belonging! In this ayah, Allah says what can be translated as, “O you who believe! Be you vindicators (in the Cause) of Allah …” (TMQ, 61:14). Praying and fasting are not enough; you have to strive in the cause of Allah.