SURA 62. Jumua, or the Assembly (Friday) Prayer.
1. Whatever is in the heavens and on earth, doth declare the Praises and Glory
of Allah,- the Sovereign, the Holy One, the Exalted in Might, the Wise.
2. It is He Who has sent amongst the Unlettered a messenger from among
themselves, to rehearse to them His Signs, to sanctify them, and to instruct
them in Scripture and Wisdom,- although they had been, before, in manifest
3. As well as [to confer all these benefits upon] others of them, who have not
already joined them: And He is exalted in Might, Wise.
4. Such is the Bounty of Allah, which He bestows on whom He will: and Allah is
the Lord of the highest bounty.
5. The similitude of those who were charged with the [obligations of the] Mosaic
Law, but who subsequently failed in those [obligations], is that of a donkey
which carries huge tomes [but understands them not]. Evil is the similitude of
people who falsify the Signs of Allah: and Allah guides not people who do wrong.
6. Say: “O ye that stand on Judaism! If ye think that ye are friends to Allah,
to the exclusion of [other] men, then express your desire for Death, if ye are
7. But never will they express their desire [for Death], because of the [deeds]
their hands have sent on before them! and Allah knows well those that do wrong!
8. Say: “The Death from which ye flee will truly overtake you: then will ye be
sent back to the Knower of things secret and open: and He will tell you [the
truth of] the things that ye did!”
9. O ye who believe! When the call is proclaimed to prayer on Friday [the Day of
Assembly], hasten earnestly to the Remembrance of Allah, and leave off business
[and traffic]: That is best for you if ye but knew!
10. And when the Prayer is finished, then may ye disperse through the land, and
seek of the Bounty of Allah: and celebrate the Praises of Allah often [and
without stint]: that ye may prosper.
11. But when they see some bargain or some amusement, they disperse headlong to
it, and leave thee standing. Say: “The [blessing] from the Presence of Allah is
better than any amusement or bargain! and Allah is the Best to provide [for all
Surah Jumah – Sheikh Sudais
1. The objective of surat Al-Jumua’a is to stress the solidarity and unity of Muslims. Al- Jumua’a (Friday) prayer is the symbol of the unity of Muslims dwelling in a given quarter, a district or land. Muslims meet on a weekly basis and listen to the Jumua’a sermon, strengthen their ties and discuss their problems
2. Essential elements of a Jumah sermon –
- Reading the Qur’an and interpreting it.
- Purifying the souls.
- Teaching the Sunnah of the Prophet, and his Ahadith.
4. Don’t attend the sermon without being aware of its importance, and knowing what Islam is really about. Belong truly to Islam, and show the signs of your loyalty and your connection to your religion through the Jumua’a prayer and through your interaction with your fellow believers. This was the message in surat Al- Jumua’a. May Allah renew these meanings in the hearts of our youth, every week and with every Jumua’a sermon.
source: Amr Khaled
18th March 2011 Makkah Friday khutbah by Sheikh Sudais