Surah 31. Luqman (Luqman)
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
1. A. L. M.
2. These are Verses of the Wise Book,-
3. A Guide and a Mercy to the Doers of Good,-
4. Those who establish regular Prayer, and give regular Charity, and have (in their hearts) the assurance of the Hereafter.
5. These are on (true) guidance from their Lord: and these are the ones who will prosper.
6. But there are, among men, those who purchase idle tales, without knowledge (or meaning), to mislead (men) from the Path of Allah and throw ridicule (on the Path): for such there will be a Humiliating Penalty.
7. When Our Signs are rehearsed to such a one, he turns away in arrogance, as if he heard them not, as if there were deafness in both his ears: announce to him a grievous Penalty.
8. For those who believe and work righteous deeds, there will be Gardens of Bliss,-
9. To dwell therein. The promise of Allah is true: and He is Exalted in Power, Wise.
10. He created the heavens without any pillars that ye can see; He set on the earth mountains standing firm, lest it should shake with you; and He scattered through it beasts of all kinds. We send down rain from the sky, and produce on the earth every kind of noble creature, in pairs.
11. Such is the Creation of Allah. now show Me what is there that others besides Him have created: nay, but the Transgressors are in manifest error.
12. we bestowed (in the past) Wisdom on Luqman: “Show (thy) gratitude to Allah.” Any who is (so) grateful does so to the profit of his own soul: but if any is ungrateful, verily Allah is free of all wants, Worthy of all praise.
13. Behold, Luqman said to his son by way of instruction: “O my son! join not in worship (others) with Allah. for false worship is indeed the highest wrong-doing.”
14. And We have enjoined on man (to be good) to his parents: in travail upon travail did his mother bear him, and in years twain was his weaning: (hear the command), “Show gratitude to Me and to thy parents: to Me is (thy final) Goal.
15. “But if they strive to make thee join in worship with Me things of which thou hast no knowledge, obey them not; yet bear them company in this life with justice (and consideration), and follow the way of those who turn to me (in love): in the end the return of you all is to Me, and I will tell you the truth (and meaning) of all that ye did.”
16. “O my son!” (said Luqman), “If there be (but) the weight of a mustard-seed and it were (hidden) in a rock, or (anywhere) in the heavens or on earth, Allah will bring it forth: for Allah understands the finest mysteries, (and) is well-acquainted (with them).
17. “O my son! establish regular prayer, enjoin what is just, and forbid what is wrong: and bear with patient constancy whatever betide thee; for this is firmness (of purpose) in (the conduct of) affairs.
18. “And swell not thy cheek (for pride) at men, nor walk in insolence through the earth; for Allah loveth not any arrogant boaster.
19. “And be moderate in thy pace, and lower thy voice; for the harshest of sounds without doubt is the braying of the ass.”
The purpose of the surah can be derived from its name, which shows us Luqman’s rearing of his son and advising him as mentioned in the surah. It is the surah of child rearing that conveys wonderful methods to raise them according to Allah’s (SWT) Decree. It comprehensively discusses child rearing from a religious and worldly standpoint. This child rearing covers the following areas:
1. Tawheed (Monotheism) of Allah (SWT)
2. Being dutiful to one’s parents
3. The importance of worship and reactivity
3. Understanding the realities of the world
4. Good behavior and manners
5. Planning one’s life
Subhan Allah, all this is present in the surah and in only 34 verses? This is a surah that must be taught in our schools. Our children must read and memorize this surah to grow up following the guidelines that Luqman used with his son. Not only that, parents must learn it before their children so that they learn from the Qur’anic instruction, the instruction of Luqman and the method of religious and worldly child rearing.