In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
1. A. L. M.
2. The Roman Empire has been defeated-
3. In a land close by; but they, (even) after (this) defeat of theirs, will soon be victorious-
4. Within a few years. With Allah is the Decision, in the past and in the Future: on that Day shall the Believers rejoice-
5. With the help of Allah. He helps whom He will, and He is exalted in might, most merciful.
6. (It is) the promise of Allah. Never does Allah depart from His promise: but most men understand not.
7. They know but the outer (things) in the life of this world: but of the End of things they are heedless.
8. Do they not reflect in their own minds? Not but for just ends and for a term appointed, did Allah create the heavens and the earth, and all between them: yet are there truly many among men who deny the meeting with their Lord (at the Resurrection)!
9. Do they not travel through the earth, and see what was the end of those before them? They were superior to them in strength: they tilled the soil and populated it in greater numbers than these have done: there came to them their apostles with Clear (Signs). (Which they rejected, to their own destruction): It was not Allah Who wronged them, but they wronged their own souls.
1. The phrase “and among His Signs is,” is more frequently used in this surah than in any other surah in the Qur’an. This in itself shows the objective of the surah : ‘Allah’s signs are clear and sure, so how do still you disbelieve?’ Thus, the surah takes us around the universe all over Allah’s (SWT) Dominion and reminds us that Allah’s (SWT) signs are clear enough to boost our faith in His Greatness and Power.
2. This surah consists of 60 ayahs; please verify for yourself how many times the word ‘Signs’ occurs. After you read this surah go out to the natural world and ponder Allah’s (SWT) creation for five minutes. Who created this universe and excelled in creating it? Who made these awesome signs?
3. Allah (SWT) illustrates in the surah His astounding signs [of creation] in the universe. He addresses those who disbelieve and are stubborn stating that if you see these signs and disbelieve, here is a factual sign that will happen before your eyes, specifically the victory of the Romans over the Persians in less than ten years. This ayah is directed towards us in modern times just as it was directed towards our predecessors.
source: Amr Khaled