Surah Qadr 97 – Night of Decree
1. Verily! We have sent it (this Qur’an) down in the night of Al-Qadr (Decree)
2. And what will make you know what the night of Al-Qadr (Decree) is?
3. The night of Al-Qadr (Decree) is better than a thousand months
4. Therein descend the angels and the Ruh [Jibrael (Gabriel)] by Allah’s Permission with all Decrees,
5. Peace! (All that night, there is Peace and Goodness from Allah to His believing slaves) until the appearance of dawn.
- Aa’ishah, RA narrated: “Allaah Messenger SAW used to practice I’tikaaf in the last ten nights and say: ‘Seek out Lailatul-Qadr in the (odd nights) of the last ten days of Ramadhan.” (Bukhari, Muslim )
- The Prophet said about this majestic night “Any Muslim who stands in prayer during the Night of Qadr out of faith and sincerity, his/her previous sins shall be forgiven.” (Reported by Al-Bukhari)
- Reported from ‘Aa’ishah, RA that she said: “O Messenger of Allaah! What if I knew which night Lailatul-Qadr was, then what should I say in it?” He said: “Say: Allaahumma innaka ‘affuwwun tuhibbul ‘afwa fa’fu ‘annee.” (O Allaah you are the one who pardons greatly, and loves to pardon, so pardon me.) (at-Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah)
- From Ubayy, RA who said: that he SAW said: “On the morning following Lailatul-Qadr the sun rises not having any rays, as if it were a brass dish, until it rises up.” (Muslim, Abu Dawood, at-Tarmidhi, Ibn Majah)
- From Ibn ‘Abbaas, RA who said: Allaah’s Messenger SAW said: “Lailatul-Qadr is calm and pleasant, neither hot nor cold, the sun arises on its morning being feeble and red.” (at-Tayaalisee, Ibn Khuzaimah, al-Bazzaar with hasan isnaad)
Signs of Lailatul Qadr by Dr. Muhammad Salaah
- Search for the Laylatul Qadr on an odd night in the last ten nights of Ramadan i.e 21, 23, 25, 27, 29 – Seize every moment on the odd nights.
- Laylatul-Qadr is the most blessed night. A person who misses it has indeed missed a great amount of good. If a believing person is keen to obey his Lord and increase the good deeds in his record, he should strive to encounter this night and to pass it in worship and obedience. If this is facilitated for him, all of his previous sins will be forgiven.
- Worship Allah more on these nights because if you find the night it will be better then 1000 nights of worship.
- Read more Quran. The quran was revealed in the night of power.
- Make long, sincere, deep dua/supplications to Allah
- Give charity
- Perform Qiyam Layl/Tahajjud – Good Deed #15
- Remember Allah – Make Dhikr – Good Deed #18
- Perform Itikaf – Spiritual retreat – Good Deed #19
- Perform Isha and Fajr in congregation
- Offer more obligatory salaah.
- Evaluate yourself and ask for sincere repentance.
- Read abundantly – Allaahumma innaka ‘affuwwun tuhibbul ‘afwa fa’fu ‘annee.” (O Allaah you are the one who pardons greatly, and loves to pardon, so pardon me.)
NB: Always remember when doing a good deed, have the correct intention/niyyah, do it for Allah’s pleasure with sincerity. May all our good deeds be accepted. InshaAllah.