SURA 64. Tagabun, or Mutual Loss and Gain
1. Whatever is in the heavens and on earth, doth declare the Praises and Glory
of Allah: to Him belongs dominion, and to Him belongs praise: and He has power
over all things.
2. It is He Who has created you; and of you are some that are Unbelievers, and
some that are Believers: and Allah sees well all that ye do.
3. He has created the heavens and the earth in just proportions, and has given
you shape, and made your shapes beautiful: and to Him is the final Goal.
4. He knows what is in the heavens and on earth; and He knows what ye conceal
and what ye reveal: yea, Allah knows well the [secrets] of [all] hearts.
5. Has not the story reached you, of those who rejected Faith aforetime? So they
tasted the evil result of their conduct; and they had a grievous Penalty.
6. That was because there came to them messengers with Clear Signs, but they
said: “Shall [mere] human beings direct us?” So they rejected [the Message] and
turned away. But Allah can do without [them]: and Allah is free of all needs,
worthy of all praise.
7. The Unbelievers think that they will not be raised up [for Judgment]. Say:
“Yea, By my Lord, Ye shall surely be raised up: then shall ye be told [the
truth] of all that ye did. And that is easy for Allah.”
8. Believe, therefore, in Allah and His Messenger, and in the Light which we
have sent down. And Allah is well acquainted with all that ye do.
9. The Day that He assembles you [all] for a Day of Assembly,- that will be a
Day of mutual loss and gain [among you], and those who believe in Allah and work
righteousness,- He will remove from them their ills, and He will admit them to
Gardens beneath which Rivers flow, to dwell therein for ever: that will be the
10. But those who reject Faith and treat Our Signs as falsehoods, they will be
Companions of the Fire, to dwell therein for aye: and evil is that Goal.
11. No kind of calamity can occur, except by the leave of Allah: and if any one
believes in Allah, [Allah] guides his heart [aright]: for Allah knows all
12. So obey Allah, and obey His Messenger: but if ye turn back, the duty of Our
Messenger is but to proclaim [the Message] clearly and openly.
13. Allah! There is no god but He: and on Allah, therefore, let the Believers
put their trust.
14. O ye who believe! Truly, among your wives and your children are [some that
are] enemies to yourselves: so beware of them! But if ye forgive and overlook,
and cover up [their faults], verily Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
15. Your riches and your children may be but a trial: but in the Presence of
Allah, is the highest, Reward.
16. So fear Allah as much as ye can; listen and obey and spend in charity for
the benefit of your own soul and those saved from the covetousness of their own
souls,- they are the ones that achieve prosperity.
17. If ye loan to Allah, a beautiful loan, He will double it to your [credit],
and He will grant you Forgiveness: for Allah is most Ready to appreciate
[service], Most Forbearing,-
18. Knower of what is open, Exalted in Might, Full of Wisdom.
Surah Tagabun – Sheikh Al Afasy
1. This surah is also about social distractions
2. The surah unveils this reality so we wouldn’t be taken in by those worldly pleasures. Allah says what can be translated as, “O you who believe! Verily, among your wives and your children there are enemies for you (who may stop you from the obedience of Allah);therefore beware of them!” (TMQ, 64:14). Then there comes the following ayah, “Your wealth and your children are but a trial, whereas Allah! With Him is a great reward (Paradise).” (TMQ, 64:15).
3. He who is distracted by his money, his wife and his children from remembering Allah and his religion is a deluded person. He will suffer greatly on the Day of Mutual Loss and Gain.
4. We note here that, according to the first ayah, only some of your wives and children are enemies, but not all of them. However, they are all “but a trial” and those who will pass this test will be rewarded with great bliss, insha Allah (if Allah wills).
5. Dear brothers and sisters, spend in Allah’s cause to prove your loyalty to your religion and methodology and to safeguard your heart from attachment to worldly pleasures.
6. To make sure that people do not misunderstand surat At-Taghabun and think that they should desert their wives and children in order to devote themselves to the worship of Allah, surat At-Tahreem gives a further explanation, “O you who believe! Ward off yourselves and your families against a Fire (Hell) whose fuel is men and stones, over which are (appointed) angels stern (and) severe, who disobey not, (from executing) the commands they receive from Allah, but do that which they are commanded.” (TMQ, 66:6). Don’t desert your children or walk out on your wife leaving them without guidance and companionship. Take their hands and lead them to the Right Path, so that you will all be saved from hell.