SURA 63. Munafiqun, or the Hypocrites
1. When the Hypocrites come to thee, they say, “We bear witness that thou art
indeed the Messenger of Allah.” Yea, Allah knoweth that thou art indeed His
Messenger, and Allah beareth witness that the Hypocrites are indeed liars.
2. They have made their oaths a screen [for their misdeeds]: thus they obstruct
[men] from the Path of Allah: truly evil are their deeds.
3. That is because they believed, then they rejected Faith: So a seal was set on
their hearts: therefore they understand not.
4. When thou lookest at them, their exteriors please thee; and when they speak,
thou listenest to their words. They are as [worthless as hollow] pieces of
timber propped up, [unable to stand on their own]. They think that every cry is
against them. They are the enemies; so beware of them. The curse of Allah be on
them! How are they deluded [away from the Truth]!
5. And when it is said to them, “Come, the Messenger of Allah will pray for your
forgiveness”, they turn aside their heads, and thou wouldst see them turning
away their faces in arrogance.
6. It is equal to them whether thou pray for their forgiveness or not. Allah
will not forgive them. Truly Allah guides not rebellious transgressors.
7. They are the ones who say, “Spend nothing on those who are with Allah’s
Messenger, to the end that they may disperse [and quit Medina].” But to Allah
belong the treasures of the heavens and the earth; but the Hypocrites understand
8. They say, “If we return to Medina, surely the more honourable [element] will
expel therefrom the meaner.” But honour belongs to Allah and His Messenger, and
to the Believers; but the Hypocrites know not.
9. O ye who believe! Let not your riches or your children divert you from the
remembrance of Allah. If any act thus, the loss is their own.
10. and spend something [in charity] out of the substance which We have bestowed
on you, before Death should come to any of you and he should say, “O my Lord!
why didst Thou not give me respite for a little while? I should then have given
[largely] in charity, and I should have been one of the doers of good”.
Surah Munafiqoon – Sheikh Abdur Rahman Sudais
1. This surah puts forward a warning against a social ailment that could be detrimental to the fellowship of the Ummah by undermining its unity. That is why the surah begins, from the very first ayah, to describe the lies and deceit of the hypocrites.
2. Hypocrites endanger loyalty, Look at the aspects of hypocrisy in their lives as shown in the following ayah, “And when you look at them, their bodies please you; and when they speak, you listen to their words. They are as blocks of wood propped up.” (TMQ, 63:4). They have slick and polished appearances, yet deep inside, “They think that every cry is against them.” (TMQ, 63:4), that is why, “They are the enemies, so beware of them.” (TMQ, 63:4).
3. Hyprocrites are arrogant and the leader of the hypocrites – Abdullah Ibn-Ubai Ibn-Saloul was so insolent to the extent of insulting the Prophet (SAWS)
4. If you don’t feel the glory of belonging to this religion, beware that you might have one of the traits of hypocrisy in you. Remember the words Al-Farouk (Omar Ibnul-Khattab) when he said, “We are the people who have been glorified through Islam, if we strive for glory through any other means but Islam we will certainly be humiliated by Allah”.
5. Properties (money, estates …etc) and children were the hypocrites’ major concern. Beware! Don’t let these things divert your attention from remembering Allah and from coming together with your fellow believers, or else you will be at the risk of becoming a hypocrite yourself .
6. The solution is – Spending in charity is the best shield for the hearts against the ailment of hypocrisy and all other diversions
source: Amr Khaled