SURA 48. Fath, or Victory
1. Verily We have granted thee a manifest Victory:
2. That Allah may forgive thee thy faults of the past and those to follow; fulfil His favour to thee; and guide thee on the Straight Way;
3. And that Allah may help thee with powerful help.
4. It is He Who sent down tranquillity into the hearts of the Believers, that they may add faith to their faith;- for to Allah belong the Forces of the heavens and the earth; and Allah is Full of Knowledge and Wisdom;-5. That He may admit the men and women who believe, to Gardens beneath which rivers flow, to dwell therein for aye, and remove their ills from them;- and that is, in the sight of Allah, the highest achievement [for man],-
The name of the surah explains its objective. It is the surah of victories and divine generosity for this Ummah (Muslim nation). It was sent to enumerate the victories that Allah (SWT) will bestow upon the Muslims. Prophet Muhammad (SAWS) rejoiced with this surah and said, “I have been sent a surah that is better than anything on earth,” and the Companions asked, “What is it Messenger of Allah?” He replied, “Surat Al-Fath.”
Allah (SWT) grants Muslims victories, favors, and good fortunes in this surah:
- Forgiveness of Sins: Surely We have given you an evident conquest, (Literally: conquered for you; or: opened for you) That Allah may forgive you your guilty (deeds)-whatever of them has gone forward and whatever is postponed-and perfect His favor upon you, and guide you (The Prophet) on a straight Path, (TMQ, 48:1-2).
- Fulfillment of Favor: “His favor upon you.” (TMQ, 48:2).
- Guidance: “And guide you (The Prophet) on a straight path.” (TMQ, 48:2).
- Victory: “And that Allah may vindicate you with a mighty victory.” (TMQ,48:3). Notice that forgiveness comes before victory.
- Sending tranquillity into the hearts of Muslims: “ He is (The One) Who sent downserenity (or: tranquillity) into the hearts of the believers, that they may increase
in their belief to their belief.” (TMQ, 48:4).
- Admitting those who believe into heaven: “That He may cause the male believersand the female believers to enter the Gardens beneath which the rivers run,
eternally (abiding) therein.” (TMQ, 48:5).
- Exposing and punishing hypocrites and polytheists: “And that He may torment themale hypocrites and the female hypocrites, and the male associators and the
female associators, the ones surmising ill surmises of Allah.” (TMQ, 48:6).
- Allah’s Satisfaction with the believers: “Indeed Allah has already been satisfiedwith the believers.” (TMQ, 48:18).
- Material gains: “Allah has promised you much booty to take.” (TMQ, 48:20).
- Promising Muslims admission to Al-Masjid Al-Haram (The holy Mosque inMakkah): “Indeed Allah has already vouchsafed to His Messenger the vision of
The Truth: “Indeed you will definitely enter the Inviolable Mosque, in case
Allah (so) decides secure.” (TMQ, 48:27).
- Security and peace: “(some of you) heads clean-shaven, (and some) hair cut short,not fearing. Yet He knew what you did not know, and so set up for you, apart
from that a near conquest.” (TMQ, 48:27).
- Manifestation of Islam: “He is (the One) Who has sent His Messenger withguidance and the Religion of the Truth, that he (would) make it topmost above all religion.” (TMQ, 48:28).
source: Amr Khaled