SURA 43. Zukhruf, or Gold Adornments
2. By the Book that makes things clear,-
3. We have made it a Qur’an in Arabic, that ye may be able to understand [and
4. And verily, it is in the Mother of the Book, in Our Presence, high [in
dignity], full of wisdom.
5. Shall We then take away the Message from you and repel [you], for that ye are
a people transgressing beyond bounds?
6. But how many were the prophets We sent amongst the peoples of old?
7. And never came there a prophet to them but they mocked him.
8. So We destroyed [them]- stronger in power than these;- and [thus] has passed
on the Parable of the peoples of old.
9. If thou wert to question them, ‘Who created the heavens and the earth?’ They
would be sure to reply, ‘they were created by [Him], the Exalted in Power, Full
10. [Yea, the same that] has made for you the earth [like a carpet] spread out,
and has made for you roads [and channels] therein, in order that ye may find
guidance [on the way];
1. Az-Zukhruf warns of temptations by the vanities of this world and its false glitter. Thus, the surah sheds light on material appearances and people being dazzled by them, as this is one of the grave reasons behind neglecting the divine message. The surah confirmed, by contrast, that real adornment and felicity do not exist in this life but in paradise, which has been promised to the pious.
2. The mention of gold and silver is repeated in this surah more than any other. If those material appearances were equal to a mosquito wing for Allah (SWT, He would deprive disbelievers of them. It was possible, due to their contemptible value, that Allah (SWT) might grant disbelievers many of these appearances but He did not so that the believer may not be tempted and follow them.
3. While the surah mentions the evanescent enjoyment of this life and calls people for asceticism in it, it also reveals the real adornment and that is paradise and what Allah (SWT) has prepared for the pious in it.
4. The surah goes on criticizing those who measure things based on appearances.
5. Some disbelieved, and they denied the Qur’an, not because of the Qur’an itself, but because it was not sent down to the rich chiefs and people of high rank.
6. They refuse religion either out of fear for some accustomed appearances to which they were accustomed or because they disdain to deal with the religious people. To those we say: Read surat Az-Zukhruf and do not set this life ornament as a barrier between you and religion.
7. Pharaoh was immersed in material appearances to the extent that he asked Musa (AS) to bring golden bracelet from the heaven, as if this bracelet would make him believe in Allah (SWT).
8. Noble Prophet (AS) was a good example to children of Israel in asceticism and lightening worldly ornament
9. Surat Az-Zukhruf, through guiding Muslims to assume their responsibility towards the Qur’an, warns that if they cling to the material appearances, they will not prosper.Is there any reason behind the deterioration of our nation in this era other than hanging on to material appearances and being dazzled by the western material civilization?
10. The surah warns also those who take friends on the basis of material appearances as Allah
11. Beware of seeking glory in material appearances and do adhere to the Qur’an because in it lies your exaltation and glory.
source: Amr Khaled