Surah 33. Al-Ahzab (The Clans, The Coalition, The Combined Forces)
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
1. O Prophet! Fear Allah, and hearken not to the Unbelievers and the Hypocrites: verily Allah is full of Knowledge and Wisdom.
2. But follow that which comes to thee by inspiration from thy Lord: for Allah is well acquainted with (all) that ye do.
3. And put thy trust in Allah, and enough is Allah as a disposer of affairs.
4. Allah has not made for any man two hearts in his (one) body: nor has He made your wives whom ye divorce by Zihar your mothers: nor has He made your adopted sons your sons. Such is (only) your (manner of) speech by your mouths. But Allah tells (you) the Truth, and He shows the (right) Way.
5. Call them by (the names of) their fathers: that is juster in the sight of Allah. But if ye know not their father’s (names, call them) your Brothers in faith, or your maulas. But there is no blame on you if ye make a mistake therein: (what counts is) the intention of your hearts: and Allah is Oft-Returning, Most Merciful.
6. The Prophet is closer to the Believers than their own selves, and his wives are their mothers. Blood-relations among each other have closer personal ties, in the Decree of Allah. Than (the Brotherhood of) Believers and Muhajirs: nevertheless do ye what is just to your closest friends: such is the writing in the Decree (of Allah..
7. And remember We took from the prophets their covenant: As (We did) from thee: from Noah, Abraham, Moses, and Jesus the son of Mary: We took from them a solemn covenant:
8. That ((Allah)) may question the (custodians) of Truth concerning the Truth they (were charged with): And He has prepared for the Unbelievers a grievous Penalty.
9. O ye who believe! Remember the Grace of Allah, (bestowed) on you, when there came down on you hosts (to overwhelm you): But We sent against them a hurricane and forces that ye saw not: but Allah sees (clearly) all that ye do.
1. This surah is, by the way, one of the best surahs in the Qur’an to portray the different difficult situations that people may go through. The incident of Al-Ahzab (which is also called the Conquest of the Trench) was itself a very difficult situation.
2. Through all of the ayahs, the surah focuses on obedience to Allah (SWT), surrender and submission to Him in these situations.
3. Surrender without hesitation. If someone still insists upon not carrying out the orders of Allah (SWT) until he understands the wisdom behind them, then read what this important ayah says about the concept of submitting surrender to Allah (SWT).
4. It is inadmissible for anyone to protest and refuse any command given by Allah (SWT) and say that he needs to be convinced first of the concept behind this command. Young men and women, surrender to Allah (SWT), for the ayahs in the Qur’an, throughout 20 of its chapters, have made clear the wisdom of Allah (SWT) and His plan for His creations and the wonder in the laws He has placed (which proves that our religion does not ask that people follow blindly nor does it disable minds from thinking on their own). It is high time you surrender.
5. There are two types of ways to surrender to Allah (SWT). One can either submit to Allah (SWT) by one’s own choice and freewill, or can be a servant to Allah (SWT) without having to choose. The first type is the one the heavens and the earth feared, knowing how uneasy is to carry the moral responsibility and perform duties. For this reason, they chose the second type of surrender, which is that of submission to Allah (SWT) without being given the choice of fulfilling Allah’s commands
source: Amr Khaled