Narrated Safwan bin Salim:
The Prophet (Peace be upon him) said “The one who looks after and works for a widow and for a poor person, is like a warrior fighting for Allah’s Cause or like a person who fasts during the day and prays all the night.” Bukhari Volume:8 Book:73 Number:35
A journey well taken : life after loss by Elaine Williams
How to help a widow in your area?
1. Ask you local imam if there is anyone the community that is a widow. If no one has a clue, then search for them and start a database of widows in the area that need help.
2. Volunteer your time. Widows may be lonely and are looking for friendship, moral support and companionship. Please remember only visit the same gender, send your wife to visit the widow.
3. Donate money to a local organisation that help widows. e.g. African Muslim Agency
4. Invite a widow and her family to celebrate Eid with your family.
5. Ensure the widow and her family have been through grief counselling. e.g. Islamic Social Services Association
6. Help a widow and her family with their shopping chores, paying bills – especially if the widow is still in her iddah period.
7. Help the widow and her family with regards to understanding the inheritance laws of islam.