SURA 96. Alaq,The Clot of Blood
1. Proclaim! [or read!] in the name of thy Lord and Cherisher, Who created-
2. Created man, out of a [mere] clot of congealed blood:
3. Proclaim! And thy Lord is Most Bountiful,-
4. He Who taught [the use of] the pen,-
5. Taught man that which he knew not.
6. Day, but man doth transgress all bounds,
7. In that he looketh upon himself as self-sufficient.
8. Verily, to thy Lord is the return [of all].
9. Seest thou one who forbids-
10. A votary when he [turns] to pray?
11. Seest thou if he is on [the road of] Guidance?-
12. Or enjoins Righteousness?
13. Seest thou if he denies [Truth] and turns away?
14. Knoweth he not that Allah doth see?
15. Let him beware! If he desist not, We will drag him by the forelock,-
16. A lying, sinful forelock!
17. Then, let him call [for help] to his council [of comrades]:
18. We will call on the angels of punishment [to deal with him]!
19. Day, heed him not: But bow down in adoration, and bring thyself the closer
1. This is the first sūrah of the Qur’ān, so it starts with the name of God. It instructs God’s Messenger right at the very first moment of his blessed contact with the Supreme society and before taking his very first step along the way of the message he was chosen to deliver, to read in the name of God.
2. Here also emerges the fact of man’s teaching by the Creator. The pen has always been the most widespread means of learning and it has always had the most far- reaching impact on man’s life. This fact was not as clear at the time of revelation as it is now. But God knows the value of the pen; hence, this reference to the pen at the beginning of this His final message to humanity, in the first sūrah of the Qur’ān. Yet God’s Messenger charged with the delivery of this message could not write. Had the Qur’ān been his own composition, he would not have stressed this fact at the first moment. But the Qur’ān is a message God has revealed.
3. The sūrah then states the source of learning, which is God. From Him man receives all his knowledge, past, present and future. From Him man learns any secret revealed to him about this universe, life and himself.
4. This single paragraph revealed at the very first moment of the Islamic message states the comprehensive basis of faith and its concepts. Everything starts, works and moves in His name. He is the One who creates, originates and teaches. Whatever man learns and whatever experience and knowledge he acquires come originally from God. He has taught man what he did not know. The Prophet recognized this basic Qur’ānic fact. It governed his feelings, teachings and practices for the rest of his life because it is the principal fact of faith.
source: Sayyid Qutb in the shade of the Quran