SURA 54. Qamar, or the Moon
1. The Hour [of Judgment] is nigh, and the moon is cleft asunder.
2. But if they see a Sign, they turn away, and say, “This is [but] transient
3. They reject [the warning] and follow their [own] lusts but every matter has
its appointed time.
4. There have already come to them Recitals wherein there is [enough] to check
5. Mature wisdom;- but [the preaching of] Warners profits them not.
6. Therefore, [O Prophet,] turn away from them. The Day that the Caller will
call [them] to a terrible affair,
7. They will come forth,- their eyes humbled – from [their] graves, [torpid]
like locusts scattered abroad,
8. Hastening, with eyes transfixed, towards the Caller!- “Hard is this Day!”,
the Unbelievers will say.
9. Before them the People of Noah rejected [their messenger]: they rejected Our
servant, and said, “Here is one possessed!”, and he was driven out.
10. Then he called on his Lord: “I am one overcome: do Thou then help [me]!”
11. So We opened the gates of heaven, with water pouring forth.
12. And We caused the earth to gush forth with springs, so the waters met [and
rose] to the extent decreed.
13. But We bore him on an [Ark] made of broad planks and caulked with palm-
14. She floats under our eyes [and care]: a recompense to one who had been
rejected [with scorn]!
15. And We have left this as a Sign [for all time]: then is there any that will
16. But how [terrible] was My Penalty and My Warning?
17. And We have indeed made the Qur’an easy to understand and remember: then is
there any that will receive admonition?
1.The message of this surah is again to choose either of the two paths: observe Allah’s (SWT) retaliation upon past disbelieving nations and decide whether to follow their path or avoid it.Take the people of Nuh (AS) (Noah), Ad, Thamud, Lut as examples.
2. We notice that the Ayahs that show the retaliation of Allah (SWT) upon previous nations have some factors in common. The denial of disbelievers was the main reason behind their destruction. Therefore, mentioning torment is linked with words like “Aad cried lies … Thamud cried lies”, even Makkah’s disbelievers were described in the ayahs as “And they have cried lies and closely followed their prejudices; and every Command is settled” (TMQ, 54:3).
3. Any people, who belie Allah (SWT) and His Prophets (may Allah’s Peace and Blessings of be upon them all), without even reflecting on His ayahs, would face torment and become an example for people to come.
4. While narrating the destruction of beliers, the surah demonstrates that the Qur’an is the sole means to avoid torment and that this Qur’an was made easy for people to reflect on and learn.
5. It is as if the meaning is to abide by the path of Allah (SWT) and take upon yourself learning the Qur’an by heart, attending to and reflecting on it. Hence, you get to know Allah (SWT), become secure from His torment and be able choose the path of right-mindedness.
source: Amr Khaled