SURA 50. Qaf
1. Qaf: By the Glorious Qur’an [Thou art Allah’s Messenger].
2. But they wonder that there has come to them a Warner from among themselves. So the Unbelievers say: “This is a wonderful thing!
3. “What! When we die and become dust, [shall we live again?] That is a [sort of] return far [from our understanding].”
4. We already know how much of them the earth takes away: With Us is a record guarding [the full account].
5. But they deny the Truth when it comes to them: so they are in a confused state.
6. Do they not look at the sky above them?- How We have made it and adorned it, and there are no flaws in it?
7. And the earth- We have spread it out, and set thereon mountains standing firm, and produced therein every kind of beautiful growth [in pairs]-
8. To be observed and commemorated by every devotee turning [to Allah].
9. And We send down from the sky rain charted with blessing, and We produce
therewith gardens and Grain for harvests;
10. And tall [and stately] palm-trees, with shoots of fruit-stalks, piled one over another;-
11. As sustenance for [Allah’s] Servants;- and We give [new] life therewith to land that is dead: Thus will be the Resurrection.
1. This surah if you want your hearts to soften, because it is a reminder of the hereafter. This is the reason why the Messenger of Allah (SAWS) sometimes delivered Friday khutbahs (sermons) reciting this surah alone and without the addition of another word would come down from his preaching platform. The Prophet’s (SAWS) companions would be deeply touched by this sermon to the extent that they would wait for him to deliver the same one another time.
2. If we contemplate the Ayahs of this surah, we will notice that they concentrate on the three inclinations that lead to deviation, so that we can avoid them and protect our hearts against corruption, Allah (SWT) willing:
- The whispering of the soul:
Allah (SWT) says what can be translated as, “And indeed We already created man, and We know whatever his self whispers within him, and We are nearer to him than the jugular vein.” (TMQ, 50:16).
- The Companion (devil):
Allah (SWT) says what can be translated as, “His comrade will say, “Our Lord, in no way did I cause him to be inordinate; but he was in far error.” (TMQ, 50:27).
Allah (SWT) says what can be translated as, “Indeed you were already in (a state of) heedlessness of this. Then (now) We have lifted off from you your covering; so your beholding today is very sharp.” (Literally: iron “like”)” (TMQ, 50:22)
3. Surah hence concentrates on the soundness of the heart-that is being free from these diseases-
4. Qur’an and particularly surat Qaf and the surahs that follow, are the way to the soundness of the heart. I urge you, brothers and sisters, to read this surah and learn it by heart with the intent of keeping your heart sound.
We realize now why this surah started with an oath by the Qur’an; for it is the greatest aid in achieving the heart’s soundness and consequently choosing the right path
source: Amr Khaled