SURA 27. Naml, or the Ants
1. These are verses of the Qur’an,-a book that makes [things] clear; 2. A guide: and glad tidings for the believers,-
3. Those who establish regular prayers and give in regular charity, and also have [full] assurance of the hereafter.
4. As to those who believe not in the Hereafter, We have made their deeds pleasing in their eyes; and so they wander about in distraction.
5. Such are they for whom a grievous Penalty is [waiting]; and in the Hereafter theirs will be the greatest loss.
6. As to thee, the Qur’an is bestowed upon thee from the presence of one who is wise and all-knowing.
7. Behold! Moses said to his family: “I perceive a fire; soon will I bring you from there some information, or I will bring you a burning brand to light our fuel, that ye may warn yourselves.
8. But when he came to the [fire], a voice was heard: “Blessed are those in the fire and those around: and glory to Allah, the Lord of the worlds.
9. “O Moses! verily, I am Allah, the exalted in might, the wise!…
10. “Now do thou throw thy rod!” But when he saw it moving [of its own accord]as if it had been a snake, he turned back in retreat, and retraced not his steps: “O Moses!” [it was said], “Fear not: truly, in My presence, those called as messengers have no fear,-
11. “But if any have done wrong and have thereafter substituted good to take the place of evil, truly, I am Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
12. “Now put thy hand into thy bosom, and it will come forth white without stain [or harm]: [these are] among the nine Signs [thou wilt take] to Pharaoh and his people: for they are a people rebellious in transgression.”
13. But when Our Signs came to them, that should have opened their eyes, they said: “This is sorcery manifest!”
14. And they rejected those Signs in iniquity and arrogance, though their souls were convinced thereof: so see what was the end of those who acted corruptly!
1.Surat An-Naml talks about the civilization excellence : it evokes the idea that Muslims should own a powerful civilization through science, technology, military and material power in order to defend and protect Allah’s (SWT) religion.
2. The surah addresses those who believe that Islam is only about praying, shedding tears (symbolizing submission to and fear from Allah) and reciting Qur’an. These acts are important, yet they should be associated with the means that enable Muslims to lead the world and manage it in accordance with Allah’s (SWT) methodology.
3. Moreover, Muslims’ civilization excellence, scientific and technological progress help in Da’wa (call to Allah) (by encouraging people to embrace Islam). Da’wa produces much more impact on people than if the Muslims were in a situation of failure.
4. In brief, the surah tells the Ummah (nation) of Prophet Muhammad (SAWS), you will not gain the respect of other nations nor will you play a leading role unless you have civilization excellence and catch up with state-of –the-art-technology.
source : amrkhaled