2:196 (Y. Ali) And complete the Hajj or ‘umra in the service of Allah….
Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah’s Apostle said, “(The performance of) ‘Umra is an expiation for the sins committed (between it and the previous one)… Bukhari 3:27:1
How to perform Umrah – Sheikh Zameer Sattaur
1. PREPARATION FOR UMRAH
Before you proceed beyond the miqât(boundary), do the following:
- Take a bath (Make ghusl) as it is Sunnat, if not wudhu will suffice.
- Wear the ihram sheets. (Ladies will wear normal clothing as part of their Ihrâam). How to wear Ihram for men and how to wear ihram for women
- Perform 2 rakâts sunnatul ihrâm with headgear.
- After the completion thereof, removing headgear, make intention: ” O Allah, I intend performing umrah, therefore make it easy for me and accept it.” There safter, recite the Talbiyah. Listen to Talbiyah
Labbayk Allahumma Labbayk. Labbaykalaa Sharee Ka LaKa Labbayk. Innal Hamda Wanneh mata Laka wal Mulk – Laa Shareekalak.
Translation: Here I am at your service O Allah. I am present, you have no partner. I am present. All praise and graciousness as well as the entire universe is yours. You have no partner.
- The recitation of the talbiya admits one into the state of ihrâm which effects certain restrictions.(eg. wearing perfume, etc) – restrictions of ihram
- Recite the talbiya excessively and repeatedly.
2. PROCEED TO MAKKAH:
- Enter the Masjidul Harâm from Babus Salâm if no inconvenience is experienced. At the first sighting of the Ka’aba, make any dua you wish as this is an occasion when duas are certainly accepted by Allah. Do not allow such an opportunity to go by without deriving maximum benefit. thereafter proceed towards Hajre Aswad to commence tawâf.
3. MAKE TAWAAF:
- Before you start tawâf, make Idhtiba- that is, you are to put the upper sheet of your Ihram on your left shoulder; taking it through your right armpit. It must be observed for the entire duration of the tawaf. Stand facing the Hajre aswad in such a manner that the Hajre Aswad remains to your right.
- Thereafter make intention of tawâf: ” O Allah, I intend performing tawâf of your sacred house, therefore make it easy for me and accept it.”
- Proceed towards the Hajre Aswad and when directly opposite, raise both hands (like in salâh) say: (Takbeer)
- After saying the takbeer, make Istilâm. Istilâm will either mean: kissing the hajre aswad, touching the Hajre Aswad with your right hand and then kissing the hand. stretching out your arms with both palms facing the hajre Aswad, then kissing the palms.
- Stop reciting the talbiya after the first istilâm.
- Commence the tawaf by moving towards the right.
- Men will make rami in the first 3 circuits of tawâf.
- Upon reaching the 4th corner of the Ka’aba (Rukn Yamani) touch it with the hands or at least the right hand but no kissing of the Rukn Yamani .
- When starting a new circuit say the takbeer and make istilâm again.
- On completion of the 7th circuit , make istilâm once again.
During tawâf, one may engage in the recitation of the Qurân, Adhkâr or duâs. The 3rd Kalima is recommended on three sides and Rabbana Âtina between the Ruknul Yamani and Hajre Aswad.
Third Kalima Tamjeed – Listen it in Arabic
The word Tamjeed means Glorification.
English Translation: Glory be to Allah and Praise to Allah, and there is no God But Allah, and Allah is the Greatest. And there is no Might or Power except with Allah.
Rabbana atina fid-dunya hasanatan wa fil ‘akhirati hasanatan waqina ‘adhaban-nar
Our Lord! Grant us good in this world and good in the hereafter, and save us from the chastisement of the fire Qur’an 2:201
3. AFTER COMPLETION OF TAWÂF:
- Perform 2 rakâts salâh(wâjib) behind Maqâme Ibrahim or any convenient place in the Haram. Be mindful of the prohibited times of salâh.
- Thereafter, at the Multazam -(place of clinging) is the part of the Ka’bah that is between the Black Stone and the door of the Ka’bah engage in dua with arms stretched above the head and clinging to the wall. (if not inconvenient)
- Now you go the Zam Zam Well and drink its water. Face the Ka’aba and observe all other etiquette of drinking water. Return to the Ka’aba, make istilâm saying the takbeer.
- Commence the Sa’î from Mount Safâ. Facing the Ka’aba make the intention for Sa’î: O Allah, I intend making Sa’î, therefore, make it easy and accept it.” Recite the takbeer loudly and Durood Sharif softly.
- Walk towards Marwah at normal walking pace.
- Run (men only) in the area with green markings.
- On reaching marwah, do the same as what you did on Mt Safâ.
- Walking to and fro Safâ and Marwah, 7 times will complete Sa’î.
5. PERFORM 2 NAFL SALAAH
It is then sunnat to perform 2 rakaahs s nafl salâh anywhere in the Haram.
6. HALQ OR QASR:
Men are required to shave their heads or clip their hair uniformly. A woman should cut the length of their fingertips.(about an inch)
This formally ends the restrictions of the ihrâm of umrah.
source: procedure of umrah