SURA 70. Maarij, or the Ways of Ascent
1. A questioner asked about a Penalty to befall-
2. The Unbelievers, the which there is none to ward off,-
3. [A Penalty] from Allah, Lord of the Ways of Ascent.
4. The angels and the spirit ascend unto him in a Day the measure whereof is
[as] fifty thousand years:
5. Therefore do thou hold Patience,- a Patience of beautiful [contentment].
6. They see the [Day] indeed as a far-off [event]:
7. But We see it [quite] near.
8. The Day that the sky will be like molten brass,
9. And the mountains will be like wool,
10. And no friend will ask after a friend,
11. Though they will be put in sight of each other,- the sinner’s desire will
be: Would that he could redeem himself from the Penalty of that Day by
[sacrificing] his children,
12. His wife and his brother,
13. His kindred who sheltered him,
14. And all, all that is on earth,- so it could deliver him:
15. By no means! for it would be the Fire of Hell!-
16. Plucking out [his being] right to the skull!-
17. Inviting [all] such as turn their backs and turn away their faces [from the
18. And collect [wealth] and hide it [from use]!
19. Truly man was created very impatient;-
20. Fretful when evil touches him;
21. And niggardly when good reaches him;-
22. Not so those devoted to Prayer;-
23. Those who remain steadfast to their prayer;
1. Surat Al- Ma’arij tells us about: worship. All those who call to Allah should combine both good manners and regular worship; not sacrificing one for the sake of the other. The surah gives us some wonderful ayahs describing the devout worshipers,
2. On the other hand, let us not misunderstand the meaning to be: you can’t carry on Da’wa until your faith is complete. Ibn-Taimiah (may Allah Bless him) said something very wise about this, “Let not any of you say that he will not call to Allah until his faith is complete. In that case he will be bound to one of two options; either a day will come when he will think that his faith is complete, that is when he is been led astray. Or he will die without completing his faith.”
What is the solution then? The solution is for you to carry on Da’wa, to work on your manners and strengthen your faith; all at the same time. This does not conflict with carrying on Da’wa. On the contrary, calling to Allah and guiding people to the right path will help you in your worshiping and in maintaining good manners.
3. As we can see, the first four surahs of this part tell us about the traits of those who carry on Da’wa: knowing about Allah, having skills in science and knowledge, believing in the Day of Judgment and using that for incentive rather than intimidation together with a big share of worshiping and manners.
source: Amr Khaled