SURA 66. Tahrim, or Holding (something) to be Forbidden
1. O Prophet! Why holdest thou to be forbidden that which Allah has made lawful
to thee? Thou seekest to please thy consorts. But Allah is Oft- Forgiving, Most
2. Allah has already ordained for you, [O men], the dissolution of your oaths
[in some cases]: and Allah is your Protector, and He is Full of Knowledge and
3. When the Prophet disclosed a matter in confidence to one of his consorts, and
she then divulged it [to another], and Allah made it known to him, he confirmed
part thereof and repudiated a part. Then when he told her thereof, she said,
“Who told thee this? “He said, “He told me Who knows and is well-acquainted
[with all things].”
4. If ye two turn in repentance to Him, your hearts are indeed so inclined; But
if ye back up each other against him, truly Allah is his Protector, and Gabriel,
and [every] righteous one among those who believe,- and furthermore, the angels
– will back [him] up.
5. It may be, if he divorced you [all], that Allah will give him in exchange
consorts better than you,- who submit [their wills], who believe, who are
devout, who turn to Allah in repentance, who worship [in humility], who travel
[for Faith] and fast,- previously married or virgins.
6. O ye who believe! save yourselves and your families from a Fire whose fuel is
Men and Stones, over which are [appointed] angels stern [and] severe, who flinch
not [from executing] the Commands they receive from Allah, but do [precisely]
what they are commanded.
7. [They will say], “O ye Unbelievers! Make no excuses this Day! Ye are being
but requited for all that ye did!”
8. O ye who believe! Turn to Allah with sincere repentance: In the hope that
your Lord will remove from you your ills and admit you to Gardens beneath which
Rivers flow,- the Day that Allah will not permit to be humiliated the Prophet
and those who believe with him. Their Light will run forward before them and by
their right hands, while they say, “Our Lord! Perfect our Light for us, and
grant us Forgiveness: for Thou hast power over all things.”
9. O Prophet! Strive hard against the Unbelievers and the Hypocrites, and be
firm against them. Their abode is Hell,- an evil refuge [indeed].
10. Allah sets forth, for an example to the Unbelievers, the wife of Noah and
the wife of Lut: they were [respectively] under two of our righteous servants,
but they were false to their [husbands], and they profited nothing before Allah
on their account, but were told: “Enter ye the Fire along with [others] that
11. And Allah sets forth, as an example to those who believe the wife of
Pharaoh: Behold she said: “O my Lord! Build for me, in nearness to Thee, a
mansion in the Garden, and save me from Pharaoh and his doings, and save me from
those that do wrong”;
12. And Mary the daughter of ‘Imran, who guarded her chastity; and We breathed
into [her body] of Our spirit; and she testified to the truth of the words of
her Lord and of His Revelations, and was one of the devout [servants].
Surah Tahreem – Sheikh Shuraim
1. This surah reminds women that they are the ties that bind the society. Muslim women are responsible for themselves and it is their duty to belong, as well. Their husbands will not be able to help them when the judgment is due; and we are reminded of the stories of the wives of Nuh (AS) and Lut (AS),
2. On the other hand, we see the exact opposite with the wife of a committed atheist and tyrant Firaawn (the Pharaoh); she was a loyal believer,
3. The next example is Maryam, the daughter of Imran, whose belonging was symbolized by her chastity, modesty (Haia’a9) and dutiful worship.
4. “O you who believe! Ward off yourselves and your families against a Fire (Hell) whose fuel is men and stones, over which are (appointed) angels stern (and) severe, who disobey not, (from executing) the commands they receive from Allah, but do that which they are commanded.” (TMQ, 66:6). Don’t desert your children or walk out on your wife leaving them without guidance and companionship. Take their hands and lead them to the Right Path, so that you will all be saved from hell.
source: Amr Khaled