- 2:266 (Y. Ali) Does any of you wish that he should have a garden with date-palms and vines and streams
- 6:99 (Y. Ali) It is He Who sendeth down rain from the skies: with it We produce vegetation of all kinds: from some We produce green (crops), out of which We produce grain, heaped up (at harvest); out of the date-palm and its sheaths (or spathes) (come) clusters of dates hanging low and near..
- 13:4 (Y. Ali) And in the earth are tracts (diverse though) neighbouring, and gardens of vines and fields sown with corn, and palm trees – growing out of single roots or otherwise: watered with the same water, yet some of them We make more excellent than others to eat. Behold, verily in these things there are signs for those who understand!
- 16:11 (Y. Ali) With it He produces for you corn, olives, date-palms, grapes and every kind of fruit: verily in this is a sign for those who give thought
- 16:67 (Y. Ali) And from the fruit of the date-palm and the vine, ye get out wholesome drink and food: behold, in this also is a sign for those who are wise.
- 23:19 (Y. Ali) With it We grow for you gardens of date-palms and vines: in them have ye abundant fruits: and of them ye eat (and have enjoyment)
- 55:10-13 (Y. Ali) It is He Who has spread out the earth for (His) creatures: Therein is fruit and date-palms, producing spathes (enclosing dates); Also corn, with (its) leaves and stalk for fodder, and sweet-smelling plants. Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
- Narrated by Ibn ‘Umar (may Allah be pleased with him): The Prophet (may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said, “There is a tree among the trees which is similar to a Muslim (in goodness), and that is the date palm tree.” (Bukhari, Vol.7 (65): 359)
- Narrated by Aisha(RA) Allah’s Messenger said: A family which has dates will not be hungry.(muslim)
- Narrated by Abu Hurairah (RA) The ajwah dates come from Paradise, and they are a remedy for poison.(Tirmidhi)
- The Prophet said, “If somebody takes some ‘Ajwa dates every morning, he will not be effected by poison or magic on that day till night.” (Another narrator said seven dates)(bukhari)
- The Prophet(SAW) “Save yourself from the (Hell) Fire even with half a date (to be given in charity). And if you do not find, then with a good pleasant word.” (Bukhari)
- Dr. Helen Thomas and Michelle Yozzo Drake describes health benefits and a helpful recipe with dates
1. The Prophet ((sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam)) used to combine dates with bread sometimes.
2. At other times he mixed ripe dates with cucumber
3. At times he combined dates with ghee.
4. He used to take all varieties of dates, but he preferred the variety called Ajwah which is from Al-madina Almunawwarah.
Health benefits of dates
- Dates are rich in several vitamins and minerals. When the level of trace elements falls in the body, the health of the blood vessels is affected leading to an increased heart-rate and a consequent inability to perform its function with normal efficiency.Dates are very good source of dietary fiber, protein and are rich in vitamin C, vitamin B1, B2, B3 and B5 and vitamin A1. There are 20 different kinds of amino acids which ease the digestive process
- Dates are also rich in calcium, they help strengthen the bones. When the calcium content in the body decreases, children are affected with rickets and the bones of adults become brittle and weak.
- Modern dietary institutes now recommend dates to be given to children suffering from a nervous nature or hyperactivity.
- Modern medicine has shown that they are effective in preventing abdominal cancer
- Dates are rich in natural fibers, they also surpass other fruits in the sheer variety of their constituents. They contain oil, calcium, sulphur, iron, potassium, phosphorous, manganese, copper and magnesium. One of the key benefits of dates is its ability to regulate a healthy nervous system, thanks to the rich potassium content. Research has recommended that higher intake of potassium (about 400 mg) can cut the risk of stroke by 40 percent.
- Dates are considered to be one of the best energy boosting snacks as they are power-packed with 29 grams of natural sugars such as glucose, fructose and sucrose. They also contain 31 grams of carbohydrate and 3 grams of dietary fiber. These qualities of dates make them the rightful candidate for boosting energy. Adding dates in milk can be a very nutritious snack for both kids and adults.
- Dates good for labour pains. Sayyidah Mariam (the Virgin Mary) mother of Jesus (sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) had dates as her food when she felt labour pains and during confinement. xperiments have also shown that dates contain some stimulants that strengthen the muscles of the uterus in the last months of pregnancy. This helps the dilation of the uterus at the time of delivery on one hand and reduces the bleeding after delivery on the other. Dieticians consider dates as the best food for women in confinement and those who are breast-feeding. This is because dates contain elements that assist in alleviating depression in mothers and enriching the breast-milk with all the elements needed to make the child healthy and resistant to disease.
- Dates are also important in keeping up the health of eyes. It is quite effective in guarding against night-blindness
- They are definitely the “crown of sweets,” and ideal food which is easy to digest, and within half an hour of taking it, the tired body regains a renewed vigour. The reason for this is that a shortage of sugar in the blood is the main factor that makes people feel hungry and not an empty stomach as is often assumed.