- “Therefore, remember Me (by praying, glorifying). I will remember you, and be grateful to Me (for My countless Favours on you) and never be ungrateful to Me.” (2:152)
- “And say: `All the praises and thanks be to Allah.”’ (17:111)
- We bestowed (in the past) Wisdom on Luqman: “Show (thy) gratitude to Allah.” Any who is (so) grateful does so to the profit of his own soul: but if any is ungrateful, verily Allah is free of all wants, Worthy of all praise 31:12
- A’ishah (may Allah be pleased with her) said, I asked, “Messenger of Allah, why do you exert yourself so much while all your sins have been forgiven?” To this he replied, “`A’ishah, should I not be a grateful servant of Allah?” (Muslim).
- Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, “None will enter Paradise but will be shown the place he would have occupied in the (Hell) Fire if he had rejected faith, so that he may be more thankful; and none will enter the (Hell) Fire but will be shown the place he would have occupied in Paradise if he had faith, so that may be a cause of sorrow for him.” (Sahih Bukhari – Book #76, Hadith #573)
- Anas bin Malik (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, “Allah is pleased with His slave who says: `Al-hamdu lillah (praise be to Allah)’ when he takes a morsel of food and drinks a draught of water.”[Muslim]
- Abu Bakr reports that, when the Prophet sallallahu alehi wasallam received something which pleased him or some glad tidings, he would make the sajdah in thanks to Allah. [Abu Dawud, Ibn Majah, and at-Tirmidhi]
- The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Those who do not thank people, they do not thank Allah” (At-Tirmidhi).
Zain Bhikha – Sabr and Shukr
1. Learn and recite duas when eating, sleeping, drinking water, drinking milk, wearing clothes, driving etc. All these duas praise and thank Allah for all his bounties.
2. Recite the tasbih fatimah Subhanallah 33X, Alhamdulillah 33X, Allah hu Akbar 34X especially before you sleep and after every Fard salaah.
3. Reflect and ponder the ayahs of surah ar rahman
4. Be an obedient servant. Believe in Allah, Perform your salaah, give zakaah, fast in month of ramadan and perform haj if affordable. Worshipping Allah is a sign on a grateful servant.
5. Always count your blessings. When you wake up thank Allah for at least 5 blessings he has bestowed on you and when you go and sleep thank Allah for the day and think of one favour he bestowed on you that day you are grateful for. If you have to journal all your blessings.
6. Make sajdah shukr if you hear good news or an affliction has been removed from you.
7. recite Ya shakoor constantly
8. The best cure for whining, depression stress is having an attitude of gratitude.
9.Perform salaat us shukr – Saalat-us-Shukr is performed by performing two rakaats salaah just like a normal nafl salaat with the niyyat of shukr.
10. Remember to thank people as well. Say “Thank You” for every act of kindness received. It’s so simple to say and yet so often taken for granted. It’s especially true when it comes to your own family members.
11. Whoever say the following duaa in the morning then he has fullfilled the shukr (thanks, gratitude) for his day and whoever say it in the evening then he has fulfilled the shukr for his night
‘O Allaah, by your leave we have reached the morning and by Your leave we have reached the evening, by Your leave we live and die and unto You is our resurrection.’
NOTE : When reciting it in the morning after Allahumma read MA-ASBAHA. In the evening recite MA-AMSAA instead of MA-ASBAHA.
12. Being thankful to Allah is not easy. It’s very easy to be heedless (ghafil), but very hard to be thankful. A dua to help us be thankful is:
Transliteration (hover your mouse for translation)
Allahumma a’inni ‘ala dhikrika wa shukrika wa husni `ibadatika,
“O Allah, help me to remember You, to thank You, and to worship You in the best way.”
NB: Always remember when doing a good deed, have the correct intention/niyyah, do it for Allah’s pleasure with sincerity. May all our good deeds be accepted. InshaAllah.