- The Prophet (peace be upon him) said, “He is not of us who does not have mercy on young children, nor honor the elderly” Al-Tirmidhi
- Narrated by Abu Huraira: Allah’s Apostle kissed Al-Hasan bin Ali while Al-Aqra’ bin Habis At-Tamim was sitting beside him. Al-Aqra said, “I have ten children and I have never kissed anyone of them.” Allah’s Apostle cast a look at him and said, “Whoever is not merciful to others will not be treated mercifully.” Sahih Al-Bukhari Hadith 8.26
- Narrated Abu Qatadah: “The Messenger of Allah came towards us while carrying Umamah the daughter of Abi Al-`As (Prophet’s granddaughter) over his shoulder. He prayed, and when he wanted to bow, he put her down, and when he stood up he lifted her up.” (Al-Bukhari)
- Prophet (saws) said, “When the son of Adam (human being) dies, his deeds are stopped except for three things, namely, his good deeds, his knowledge, and his pious child who prays for him.”(Muslim No. 1631)
Ahmed Bukhatir – Ya Bunaiya – O son
1.Give your children good muslim names. Make the adhaan in their ears when they are born. Perform the Aqeeqah.
2. If possible ensure your child is breast fed for a maximum of 2 years.
3. Treat children equally. In accordance with the true Islamic teaching, both male and female are alike in the sight of Allah, the Almighty
4. Raise children correctly. Children should be given suitable sufficient religious, ethical and moral guidance to last them for their entire life. They should be engraved with true values, the meaning of right and wrong, true and false, correct and incorrect, appropriate and inappropriate.
5. Remember children are a trust to parents and will be accountable for their upbringing. Protect them from evil vices especially found on the television, internet.
6. Listen to your children. Support them.
7. Don’t spoil or neglect children
8. Play with children. Be attentive when playing with them.
9. Hug and kiss your children. Tell them you love them.
10. Be a good role model for your children. Perform your islamic obligations. Perform your salaah, fast, pay your zakaah, give charity and perform good deeds.
11. Always make dua for your children. Ask for their protection, forgiveness and Jannah.
Interesting articles about upbringing of children
Online course: Islamic Parenting: Raising Upright Children